Any type of beef that is tender is good for this dish, I just happened to have tri-tip for this recipe. Ribeye is a very good choice, as long as it is cooked rare or medium rare. Whatever meat you decided to use, place on the counter to warm to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
After slicing the purple onion very thin, wash the onion under cool water. This removes some of the sulfur compounds that makes the onions strong.
Season the beef with salt and pepper. Place vegetable oil in a preheated pan on medium high. Add beef and sear on one side for about two minutes. When turning over, sprinkle granulated garlic on top and add butter to the pan. Spoon the butter over the top of the beef and turn over again after two minutes. Spoon a little more butter over the top and remove from pan and let rest.
Place purple onion on a plate in a think layer. Slice beef against the grain very thin and place on top of the onion. Add ponzu sauce to the bottom of the plate, just enough to cover the bottom. Top with chopped scallions and serve with a warm bowl of rice if desired.
8-10 Oreo Cookies 1 Can Crescent Rolls-8 oz. Powdered sugar
Take crescent roll can and open. Now, I can managed to get by with only one triangle piece for each Oreo. Place the Oreo in the center of the triangle. Fold the wider side over the top of the Oreo, then roll the Oreo over the bottom toward the narrow end. pull the dough to where every part of the Oreo is covered.
In an air-fryer, cook on 320 degrees for 3-5 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
Sprinkle as little or as much powered sugar over the top while they are hot.
TIP: I put aluminum foil in the bottom of my air-fryer to prevent the dough from sticking to the bottom. Works like a charm!
Try this simple and delicious treat! It goes great with a glass of milk.
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour 3 ½ teaspoons baking powder 2 tablespoons white sugar 1 ¼ cups milk 1 tablespoon vinegar 1 egg 3 tablespoons butter, melted 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
My wife made delicious pancakes with some freshly picked blueberries from my grandparents old house place. They were so good I wanted to share the recipe. They are quite simple, and make a special breakfast treat!
Mix the vinegar and milk and let sit for 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and sugar. Make a well in the center.
Pour melted butter into milk and pour into the flour mixture. Add egg. Mix until smooth. Gently fold in about 3/4 of the blueberries.
Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Add a few of the remaining blueberries into the non cooked side of the pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.
Easy, great taste, and beautiful! Try these sometime!
Once you have all the ingredients prepared, you just need to roll the sushi! The yellowfin, the crab salad, and some of the avocado go on the inside, and the smoked salmon and avocado go on the outside. The yellowfin can be cut into stick shapes like a crab stick. It’s your discretion, but you can start out with about 3 oz of crab salad as well and work up if it doesn’t seem like enough. I used about 6 pieces of smoke salmon on top and 4 pieces of avocado. If you are having trouble visiualing this, here is a video of a similiar roll with items placed on the top.
I suggest you try this roll. It had a wonderful taste, and a great presentation in Panama City!
When we first got into the city we were discussing where we could go quickly and have dinner, Pineapple Willy’s was right next to the condo. We have heard about the famous Pineapple Willy’s so we decided to try it out. Here is my over all view of the restaurant.
1 . The atmosphere: The atmosphere is mostly an open outside dining area. There are many windows and picnic table-like seats (they became uncomfortable after about 20 minutes). We stood in line for a while just to get to the hostess, who said it was about an hour wait. We had nowhere to be, so we waited. The area around the restaurant is very congested due to condos being all around it so we had two things: A lot of people and it was very loud (both people and music). They gave us an electronic device that buzzes when our table is ready. After standing for about 20 minutes, a place to sit opened up and we were able to sit for the remainder of our wait. It took right at an hour. This is by no means a place to have a date. It is a place if you want to have the experience.
2. The service: Being as busy as it was, the service was surprisingly above par. Our waitress was quick and got our order correct. She made sure to top off our sprites throughout the night. The food was delivered pretty quick, surprising it being so busy.
3. The food: The food was the highlight of the experience. I didn’t know what to expect, but everything we ate was very tasty. We decided on smoked tuna dip for an appetizer. It came with tortilla chips. While the dip was great, I would prefer cracker or some type of bread instead of tortilla chips. Still very good, however
We then had a Mahi-Mahi BLT and shrimp and grits. Both of these entrees were excellent. The shrimp and grits were probably in the top 5 of best shrimp and grits I’ve had. The Mahi-Mahi BLT came with very sweet and thick bread and the Mahi was not overdone.
4. The price: The price for the food is higher than what you would pay at normal food chain restaurants. I believe there are a few reasons for this: Location, experience, and quite frankly: they are in the money making business. I believe for the three items we purchased paid near the $40-50 range. We tipped our waitress well so it was moderately expensive but not a deal breaker.
5. Overall: If you are looking for a place that is loud, fun, and has really good food, then Pineapple Willy’s is a good place for you. However, don’t expect to get in quickly or expect it to be romantic.
I would recommend if you come to Panama City you try it at least once, to have the experience to say, “I ate at Pinapple Willy’s”! If you are a teenage or someone in your 20’s this would be a good place to have fun and throw a party.
On our trip to Panama City beach, my wife and I agreed that we would have one nice eat-out meal while we were there. After a couple of discussions and link sharing, we agreed on Firefly, that boasts of fine dining with a casual feel. I place a reservation for 7:15 about a month or so in advance on OpenTable, because I heard it was a very popular place.
I wanted to break down what we noticed about the place and my judgment on the food. Does it live up to the hype? We shall see.
1 . The atmosphere: When we first entered the restaurant everything seemed clean and in order. As we entered there was a bar to our right and the hostess stand was to our left. We did notice that there were very loud conversations and very loud music. That is not a surprise for a bar setting. We arrived early for our reservation so we were asked to wait in the “Library”, which is basically a lounge area where waitresses come by and can take drink orders if you choose to do so. Because I made my reservation with OpenTable, I received a text when my table was ready and went straight to the hostess stand.
Our hostess led us through the crowded and loud area to a back room that was lowly lit and was quiet and romantic. The atmosphere was quickly changed to one that seemed like a wonderful place to take someone for our anniversary! The tables were spread out where you were not making small talk with other tables. Once we were led to our table we were very pleased with the atmosphere.
2. The service: The service was above par. Our waiter, Jason, was excellent. He made sure all our needs were met, and he also had a very charismatic and good attitude as if he really enjoyed what he was doing. He did so well I told him I would give him a shout out on my review! Great job! He received a well deserved tip at the end of the evening.
3. The food: The food was some of the most amazing food I have ever eaten at any restaurant. PERIOD. Each dish was prepared not only with great taste, but with great presentation as well. It is difficult to really impress me with restaurant food, because normally I can make the food just as good or better at home. This blew me away. Here are a few pictures with descriptions of what we enjoyed.
I cannot say enough about the food. It was amazing. It was a plethora of exquisite tastes in every bite. Amazing!
4. The price: For an upscale restaurant you will expect to pay a greater amount for the food you receive. The price for two sushi rolls, two entrees, and drinks(Pepsi) was around $125.00. I did not have a problem paying this much for dinner for a couple of reasons. One, the food was visually amazing. Along with that, it tasted amazing. Two, we agreed we would have one splurge dinner while we were in town. Three, we wanted to celebrate our anniversary in style.
This amount was not including tip. I believe it was a fair price for the experience.
5. Overall. I’ve never went this far to say this before, but if I could give a restaurant 6 stars out of 5, this restaurant would get it. It surpassed all my expectations and ended up being one of the best date and anniversary dinners we have ever experienced. It was that good.
If you are in Panama City, I recommend you try Firefly out. I don’t believe you will regret it.
For more information about Firefly, visit their website here:
In the next few days and weeks I’ll be posting restaurant reviews of select Panama City beach restaurants. We had some really great food on this trip and I will have reviews on at least four restaurants and a fish market.
Below I compiled a video of a few of the places we went and had excellent food. Click the video below to see a glimpse of the great time we had!
I had a doctor’s appointment scheduled and the appointment was scheduled the same day of our anniversary. So we decided, let’s take a anniversary vacation! So after the doctor’s appointment we are heading to Panama City beach and staying a few days.
I will be taking plenty of pictures of food from restaurants and hopefully have some videos of some recipes I’ll make. I’ll be doing a review of a restaurant in Panama City called Firefly, where we will be celebrating our Anniversary.
Be sure to look out for new videos, recipes, and reviews in the next few weeks. See you soon!